Twelve Steps to Pure Silence
The other day someone asked me to succinctly and concretely and without any verbiage or bull@$%# enumerate how one can find the pure silence of their being. I offer this to you now. There is no guarantee, but following some or all of these did indeed help me.
1) Turn off the radio and TV and keep them off and perhaps stop reading the news as well.
2) Limit or cease your intake of alcohol, don't do any drugs, stop smoking and watch your diet by starting to eat lots of raw fruits and vegetables.
3) Practice some form of meditation, contemplation or silent yoga: every day as a discipline.
4) Get plenty of sleep, at least 7-8 hours per night of gentle, uninterrupted sleep.
5) Get in touch with nature: watch the sunrise or sunset, the clouds, the waves, listen to the birds.
6) Read some of the spiritual masters or teachers recommended on this site.
7) Accept the fact that the past, your past is gone, dead, caput, finished and has no control over you at all.
8) Forgive anyone and everyone who has hurt you in your life.
9) Seek out those you have hurt in life and ask their understanding and maybe their forgiveness but accept the fact that they might not offer you any kindness.
10) Accept the fact that "you" have absolutely no control over what the next moment or anything in the future will bring.
11) Accept the fact that NOW is the only reality: get in touch with what that really means.
12) Let go of everything you have ever learned, known or believed true, including your religious belief, your political affiliation, your social status and anything and everything that people, living and dead have told you about yourself. Instead find an answer to the question, "Who am I"? The sincere answer to that question is your freedom and the discovery of pure silence.
Return to Written Word